Rajasthan is a state in northwest India famous for its rich culture and lively festivals. One of its popular festivals is the Nagaur Cattle Fair, held every year in the town of Nagaur, between Jodhpur and Bikaner.
This fair is huge and draws lots of people from all over India and beyond. It happens in January and February, bringing farmers and traders together to buy and sell animals like cows, bullocks, camels, horses, and goats.
The Nagaur Cattle Fair, a vibrant celebration of rural life and culture, is one of Rajasthan’s most iconic events. Held annually in the historic city of Nagaur, this fair attracts thousands of visitors from across the globe. In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the rich history, dates, and essential travel information for the Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024.
History of Nagaur Cattle Fair:
Nagaur is an old town on an ancient trading route. It’s surrounded by big walls instead of a fort because there’s no high ground. People here mainly raise cattle since farming is hard due to the Thar Desert climate. They sell their camels to nearby regions for farming. Long ago, kings taxed the money people made from trading animals. To attract traders passing by, locals threw big parties. Merchants would set up camps during the fair and enjoy music and songs at night.
About 56 years ago, King Umed Singh started a special celebration by inviting a Sufi saint named Shri Ramdeoji to show his powers in Nagaur. People were amazed and asked him to stay. Now, every year, people come from all around to pay their respects to him.
Also Read: Pushkar Camel Fair
How is the Nagaur Cattle Fair Celebrated?
The Nagaur Cattle Fair, the second-largest in the country, lasts for four to ten days.
Every day, the fair starts with activities and attractions showcasing the cattle. Each seller has their own area where they keep their animals. Buyers wander through these areas to pick and haggle over the animals. By evening, most buyers leave, but the sellers stay with their animals. After sunset, the cultural programs and celebrations begin. During the day, there are games and markets to enjoy.
The Nagaur Cattle Fair is a spectacle of colors, sounds, and traditions. The fair kicks off with a colorful procession, featuring beautifully adorned cattle, camels, and horses. Throughout the event, visitors are treated to an array of cultural performances, including folk music, dance, and puppet shows. The bustling marketplace offers a chance to witness traditional handicrafts, local delicacies, and of course, the lively cattle trading activities.
Upcoming Festivals: Maru Mahotsav 2024: Desert Festivals In Jaisalmer
Tourist Attractions at Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024:
Apart from the main festivities, Nagaur and its surroundings boast several attractions worth exploring. The majestic Nagaur Fort, with its intricate architecture and rich history, stands as a prominent landmark. The Sheesh Mahal, adorned with exquisite mirror work, is a must-visit within the fort complex. Additionally, the ancient Jain temples of Nagaur offer a tranquil retreat for spiritual seekers.
- Enjoy exciting cultural games like bullock races, cockfights, and tug-of-war. Tourists can watch these games and have a good time.
- Listen to folk music performed by local artists all through the fair.
- Don’t miss the Mirchi Bazaar, the biggest red chili market in Asia – a must-see!
- Watch animal decorations and beauty contests, it’s a sight to see.
- Check out the handicraft exhibition where you can buy camel leather accessories, wooden items, and more.
- Join in turban tying contests, and mustache contests, and watch gymnastic stunts, puppet shows, and dance programs for some added entertainment.
Things to Do at Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024:
- Witness Cattle Trading: Experience the age-old tradition of cattle trading at the fairgrounds, where farmers and traders converge to buy and sell livestock.
- Enjoy Cultural Performances: Immerse yourself in the vibrant folk music and dance performances that showcase Rajasthan’s rich cultural heritage.
- Explore the Marketplace: Browse through the bustling marketplace, where vendors offer a diverse array of handicrafts, textiles, and local delicacies.
- Attend Camel Races: Don’t miss the thrilling camel races, a highlight of the Nagaur Cattle Fair, where skilled riders compete for glory.
- Photography: Capture the essence of the fair with your camera, documenting the colorful festivities and bustling atmosphere.
How to Reach Nagaur?
Nagaur is well-connected by road, rail, and air, making it easily accessible for travelers.
- By Road: Nagaur is connected to major cities in Rajasthan and neighboring states via a well-maintained network of roads. State-run buses and private taxis ply regularly to and from Nagaur.
- By Rail: The Nagaur railway station is connected to various cities across India, including Delhi, Jaipur, and Jodhpur. Regular trains operate to and from Nagaur, making it convenient for train travelers.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Nagaur is located in Jodhpur, approximately 135 kilometers away. From Jodhpur, one can hire a taxi or board a bus to reach Nagaur.
If you want to travel from Udaipur to Nagaur? Kalyan Tours Udaipur provides the best taxi service in Udaipur.
Important Details About Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024:
- Dates: The Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024 is scheduled to take place from February 15th to February 18, 2024.
- Venue: The fair is held on the outskirts of Nagaur city, near the historic Nagaur Fort.
- Accommodation: Nagaur offers a range of accommodation options, including budget guesthouses, heritage hotels, and luxury resorts. It’s advisable to book your stay well in advance, especially during the fair.
- Entry Fee: There is usually no entry fee for the Nagaur Cattle Fair, but certain events or attractions within the fairgrounds may have separate charges.
The Nagaur Cattle Fair is a vibrant celebration of Rajasthan’s rural heritage, offering visitors a glimpse into the region’s rich cultural tapestry. From cattle trading and cultural performances to exploring historical landmarks, there’s something for everyone at this iconic event. Plan your trip to Nagaur Cattle Fair 2024 to immerse yourself in the colors, sounds, and traditions of rural Rajasthan.